Optical Fiber Sensing Technology and Application
In an optical fiber sensing system, the laser transmitting in optical fiber experiences subtle changes of its parameters (power, wavelength, frequency, phase and polarization etc) according to external varieties (temperature, mechanical strain, displacements, vibrations, pressure and etc) applied to optical fiber. The change modulates original laser signals andthen reaches a detector arrangement where signals are demodulated and changes are measured.
Optical fiber sensing technology developsvery fast and hasbeen applied in a widerange of industries. Systems and solutions equipped with the optical fiber sensing technology can be deployed in harsh environments to solve critical problems.
Optical Fiber Sensor Advantage
There are two general categories of optical fiber sensors: one type measure changes on fiber caused by external factors, the sensing process and transmission are both on optical fiber. Another type use existing conventional sensors to acquire data and transmit thought optical fiber. Both types of fiber optic sensors can be further categorized into types of light intensity modulation, phase modulation, polarization modulation and wavelength modulation etc.
Compared with conventional sensors, optical fiber sensors have distinctiveadvantages:
(1) Completely passive,immune to electromagnetic interference,corrosion resistant,resistant to high temperatures and chemically reactive environment, intrinsically safe: ideal for harsh and hostile environment like microwave and explosive environment, mines, petrochemical plants and etc.
(2) Potential for very high sensitivity, range and resolution than conventional sensors.
(3) Small size: ideal for embedding and surface mounting.
(4) Wide application: through evolution of optical sensing technology, one can measure nearly all of the physical measures of interest and a very large number of chemical quantities as: Temperature, Pressure, Flow, Liquid level, Displacement (Position), Vibration, Rotation, Magnetic fields, Acceleration, Chemical species, Force, Radiation, PH, Humidity, Strain, Velocity, Electric fields,Acoustic field and etc.
(5) Can monitor a wide range of physical and chemical parameters and is neutral to objects to be tested
(6) Remote operation over long distance without any lead sensitivity, ideal for networking with existing components to form sensing network.
(7) Lower cost than conventional sensors.
Below table is the comparison of optical fiber sensors and electrical sensors, optical fiber sensors are complementaryto electrical sensors.
Optical fiber sensors
Amplitude, Absorption, Reflection and etc
Resistors, Capacitors, Inductors and etc.
2.ShinewayTech FiberGuard Optical Fiber SensingSystem Overview
For some application areas, optical fiber sensing has been increasingly recognized as a technology with very interesting possibilities, FBG and other grating type sensor is a good example. Research are focusing on the principle of optical fiber grating sensors and distributed fiber optic sensor system.
The demand of integrated security detection system for industrial facilities safety and civil engineeringefficiency is rising,the solution is distributed optical fiber sensing systemwhich supportscontinuous, uninterrupted, long distant and strong affinity to objects under test.Distributed fiber optic sensing system usually has three types: Raman type, Brillouin type and FBG type.
ShinewayTechFiberGuard optical fiber sensing solution includes 4 products:
ST-FBGFiber Grating Demodulation System
ST-DTSDistributed Optical Fiber Temperature Measurement System
ST-BOTDABrillouin Optical Time Domain Analysis & Demodulation System
ST-PDS Optical Fiber Perimeter Defense systems